Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] easy AI is too hard (PR#11)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] easy AI is too hard (PR#11)
From: rizos@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 00:26:16 -0700 (PDT)

> Full_Name: David Pfitzner
> Version:
> OS:
> Submission from: (NULL) (150.203.89.174)
> Submitted by: dwp
>

> This is a bug which was listed for freeciv 1.8.0 and still applies.
> This message is just to put it into the bug system.
> Actually this is really a "wishlist" item.
>
> - The easy AI is not easy enough.
>
> For novice players the "easy" AI can still be overwhelming.
> It is very agressive early in the game.
>
> A possible workaround is to set the server option "generator"
> to 2 or 3 before starting the game, so each player starts on their
> own island.

My suggestion for this is to add a `peace' field in the AI whose
value would determine its behaviour. In general, peaceful AI's
won't attack someone unless attacked first and won't launch
attacks to enemy cities unless first built by the AI or belonging
to a player who has already attacked the AI. I feel that by
going through the AI code it is possible to isolate aggressive
actions and make their outcome depend on the value of ai->peace.
The above also assumes an ai->opponents field where the ai stores
the behaviour of other people towards it.

--rizos