Re: [Freeciv-Dev] More flexibilty - was Fantasy Modpack

To: Per Mathisen <permath@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] More flexibilty - was Fantasy Modpack
From: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 10:38:05 +0100

Per Mathisen wrote:

> David Pfitzner wrote:
> > > especially: http://ulven.ifi.ntnu.no/freeciv/buildings.ruleset
>
> On Fri, 28 May 1999, Jules Bean wrote:
> > A more flexible approach, of course, would be to embed a simple
> > interpreter...
>
> The big problem with extending the buildings ruleset, apart from being a
> lot of code to write (for somebody who is not yet very proficient with C),
> is that I have to pay a lot of attention to speed issues, in particular as
> regards the AI. That pretty much rules out an interpreter, I am afraid.

Hmm.... maybe you're right.

But Quake, for example, runs an interpreter for its 'game rules', and
it's a fairly fast moving game...

Maybe I'll have a look at it over the summer, in terms of a feasibility
study, and report back here if I get something working.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |
|  Julian Bean   | jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx        |  TW9 2TF *UK*       |