Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Fantasy Modpack

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Fantasy Modpack
From: Sune Kirkeby <sune@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 00:32:31 +0200

On Thu, May 27, 1999 at 11:52:05AM +0100, Jules Bean wrote:

> 2) (Even stricter - call this 'very_strict_techs' ;-) If you steal a
> technology which was not one you could have researched immediately
> yourself, you understand it so little, you don't get it at all.  So this
> steal is wasted.

In a more general fashion, if you could calculate the distance from
one tech to another, it could be an option how far you would allow
technological trading / stealing / etc to jump.

On another note it might be worth considering if techs should become
out-dated like units. In which case only techs that are not out-dated
can be stolen, while you can still give / trade away out-dated techs.

Lastly, hom about assigning a "public" rating to all techs, the idea
being to have a distinction between knowledge that is common (theory
of gravity), and knowledge that is some deep military secret (stealth).
Thusly adding to the difficulty of stealing techs that a government
would keep to itself, and maybe even making the public techs dissipate
throughout the world.

Sune Kirkeby

P.S.  I am aware that these ideas are rather far from the origrnal
Civs, which is why I proprose to implement them as non-default options.
If people find them agreeable.