Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Serious Suggestions

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Serious Suggestions
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 20:19:56 -0500

Falk Hueffner (falk.hueffner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> I have also considered this recently. I think using a "real" language
> for this is a bit overkill. I considered a simple language with some
> predefined predicates like:
>
> defenders < 2 : Riflemen
> food_surplus > 2 : Settlers
> !have(Great Wall) && size >= 4 : City Walls
> size >= 7 : Aqueduct
> production > 8 : JS-Bach

I think that if we're going to go to the trouble of adding some sort
of extension capability, it should be a full language, not just a
simple hack.

Someone mentioned "bloat".  I think this is misleading -- we've already
got a graphical interface in the client, so adding a scripting language
is relatively insignificant.  (I don't have statistics available, but my
feeling is that the overhead added by adding a Guile or Python interpreter
would be much smaller than the current client memory/CPU usage.)

--
Greg Wooledge                    | Distributed.NET http://www.distributed.net/
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             | because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.