Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Serious Suggestions

To: xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Serious Suggestions
From: Schaefer Frank R <fschaef@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 21:15:36 -0500 (EST)

referring to your mail:
> 3.) Setting Agriculture Plans from the main-map.
>
>     Introduce a  Button that allows  to modify the use  of land-squares
>     directly  on the big  map. Permanently  popping up  city-windows is
>     awful !
  I could add this to the  client.  I'd like to use shift-click as the
  button.  Shift click  on a tile to work/unwork  it, shift-click on a
  city to do the  autoarrange workers thing.  Shift-click is currently
  used by the wakeup function.   However, the wakeup function also has
  the  key  'W'.   Would anyone  object  if  I  took shift  click  for
  arranging workers?   I'd use  'T', but that's  a rather  awkward key
  combination.

Oh, ...  I have a much better  Idea.  We will have  different modes to
work on the map:

     * Unit movement mode
      - middle mouse button:
        brings up a little menu-bar with all units present.  Then when
        a unit is  selected, i.e.  framed by a  fancy blinking square,
        you can type 's' to make it sleep 'g' to make it go to ... Not
        that I have to popup a city then again a stupid window just to
        dis-fortify  a unit.  In  big Countries  this gets  a horrible
        pain.

      - right mouse button:
        menubar with builded buildings and prod-info.
      - right mouse button + Ctrl:
        menubar with what can be builded (City-Plans hopefully later)

     * Worker's Arrange mode
       click a city to arrange it's  fields. Click field to select or
       dis-selected.

     * Infrastructure   building  mode:

       Say to all Auto Settler's:  build a road from Washinton to Rio,
       insted of struggling arround  with telling'em each move what to
       do.
       Select some squares to Irrigate/Mine/Build.

For each one of  these a fat button on the top  of the screen and then
we'll forget about these painful city-popups.

The pain with FreeCiv are not the grafics, its the user-dialog, that's
acking. In  my oppinion games are  there to stimulate  phantasy not to
satisfy  it by awsome  grafics. Decent  Grfx are  enough. So  the idea
behind  must  be good.  And  it is  with  FreeCiv.   But there's  this
prosperty of dialog-boxes that demote players to stupid pop-uppers and
window-clickers.

C U

-- Frank