[Freeciv-Dev] Serious Suggestions

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Serious Suggestions
From: Schaefer Frank R <fschaef@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 15:26:50 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I have  indeed some suggestions, which  I would consider  to be really
interesting.   I  would appreciate  it  if I  you  would  allow me  to
contribute to implement some of these features in FreeCiv.

1.) City-Building-Plans
-----------------------

    Enable Users to define a plan for constructions, so that you could
    say for example:

            1) Build 3 Archers;
            2) Build Granary;
            3) Build City-Walls;

    In later version, this could be done like a little programming
    language so that one could write something like

            OnEvent( Science(Monotheism) ) {
               if( ! Wonder(JS-Bach) ) Build JS-Bach;
            }

    Which means,  that when  Pottery will be  invented, the  city will
    start building the Granary as a kind of event-triggered.

    These things  could facilitate a  lot of the  work that has  to be
    done by  a player => More fun.   Plans can be stored  in files and
    recalled on demand.  I'm  quite used to write little interpreters.
    Actually  there's  a  run-time  interpreted  programming  language
    called 'Schwammerl'  that I designed  as a satellite  language for
    the orbit around C++ programs. We could use that.

2.) Regions:
------------

    Combining cities  to regions. Then  one could manage  these cities
    MUCH EASIER by one interface like e.g. a dialog for production:

    Region: Bavaria/Germany    Pres: G. Schroeder
    Nr. Cities: 20             AD:   1999 AD

                  Exist.       Add   Priority
    Granary       < 3 >        2     A
    City wall     < 2 >        17    C
    Archer        < 7 >        0     -
    Warrior       < 3 >        0     -
    Pike-man      < 1 >        12    B
    Chariot       < 0 >        0     -
    Settlers      <4711>       0     -
    Programmers   < 1 >        10    A            [Table 1]

    Where A,B,C,D stands for the priority and 1,2,3 ... for the number
    of units to be build.

    In a  detailed view,  one can  modify the plan  for each  city. By
    Default [Table 1] should  be transformed into something similar by
    a kind of internal AI.

                  |  M |  B |  P|  S|  H|  F |
                  |  u |  r |  a|  a|  u|  l |
                  |  n |  e |  s|  l|  s|  e |
                  |  i |  m |  s|  z|  u|  n |
                  |  c |  e |  a|  b|  m|  s |
                  |  h |  m |  u|  .|   |  . |
    --------------+----|----|---|---|---|----|
    Granary       |    |A 1 |A 1|  X|  X|    |
    City wall     |B 1 |B 1 |   |  X|   |  X |
    Archer        |    |    |   |   |   |A 1 |
    Warrior       |A 2 |    |   |   |   |    |
    Pike-man      |D 1 |    |   |A 4|   |B 2 |
    Chariot       |C 3 |    |   |   |   |    |
    Settlers      |    |    |   |   |   |    |
    (Programmers) |Z 1 |    |   |   |   |    |
    --------------+----|----|---|---|---|----|

3.) Setting Agriculture Plans from the main-map.

    Introduce a  Button that allows  to modify the use  of land-squares
    directly  on the big  map. Permanently  popping up  city-windows is
    awful !

4.) Unit-Grouping:
------------------

    Tell  a couple  units to  come to  a certain  place.  Here  also a
    button, that shows all units  (even the units in the cities) could
    help. Then let user define  a rectangle / polygon-line that should
    include the  units.  Simply send all units  a goto-command. Patrol
    especially for sea would be interesting.

5.) Production/Growth - Estimations
-----------------------------------

    Establish dialog boxes, where the user can see WHEN certain things
    will be build like :

    2820 BC:  3 Archers   (Lille,Paris,Marseilles)
    2800 BC:  2 Granary   (Toulouse, LeMans)
              1 City Wall (Metz)

    [Dialog 5-1]

    An ESTIMATION of different factors  based on facts of [Dialog 5-1]
    like i.e. productivity:

                          Productivity
        6 ++--+----------+----------+---------+---------++
          |   +          +          +         +          *
          |                                             **
          |                                            **|
        5 ++                                          **++
          |                                          **  |
          |                                         *    |
          |                                        *     |
        4 ++                                      *     ++
          |                                     **       |
          |                                     *        |
          |                                   **         |
        3 ++                                 **         ++
          |                                **            |
          |                               **             |
          |                             ***              |
        2 ++                           **               ++
          |                          **                  |
          |                         **                   |
          |                      ***                     |
        1 ++                   ***                      ++
          |                  ***                         |
          |               ***                            |
          |   +      *****          +         +          +
        0 ***********----+----------+---------+---------++
            -2800      -2750      -2700     -2650      -2600
                               time

       Other   Graphs   could  be   extremely   helpful,  such   like
       militarization-level, food,  tax income, science  activity etc.
       Again a plot window where  one could plot with gnuplot commands
       would be great - like

       > plot [:-2600] ScienceActivity(Bayern) w l, \
                       ScienceActivity(Rhone-d'Alpe/France) w l, \
                       Money(Thueringen) w d

       This would make  the game much more interesting  for people who
       like to analyze curves.  One could perhaps use directly gnuplot
       with some  extensions like  these external functions,  or again
       take 'Schwammerl' and pass the results to gnuplot.

6.) Additions to CivI/II:
------------------------

Free Software / Open Source Foundation.  Should be there - think about
the   7.5  Million   Linux  Users   actually.   Could   Cause  Science
Improvements or so.  Underwater cities  - expand into the seas.  Needs
kind of new technologies. Religion  - Include other Religions. Make it
possible to build the Azhar University (Egypt) as something similar to
the JS-Bach Cathedral.  People are  playing FreeCiv all over the world
not only in 'Oberbayern'.

Also be more  realistic with the 'Myth of  FreeCiv'. Give FreeCiv more
the  flair  of an  'intelligent  strategy  gaming,  that makes  people
appreciate  certain  civilization advances,  remembers  them them  the
importance of certain things for  a society ...'. With the actual Myth
one    could     think    it    is    a    game     for    14    years
Schwarzenegger-Fans. Civilization should  be attractive for all groups
of ages.

7.) Web-Page:
-------------

Make  Appointments  for  voting,  so  that  people  on  the  web  can
democratically decide, what additions they want to have. (Choose fancy
dates like 01-01-1999, 02-02-1999, 03-03-199. that's easier for people
to remember).

Announce a Project-Road-map on the web.  So that people can see what is
going on, and when they can help at a certain moment.

That's it.  I hope  this thoughts  are a kind  of motivating  for you.
Perhaps FreeCiv will be the cult-game of the 21th century ...

Sincerely,

-- Frank