[Freeciv-Dev] PATCH: turn-based play

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] PATCH: turn-based play
From: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 11:46:23 -0500

  I've put together a patch that tries to add turn-based play to Freeciv.  I've
tested it locally and as far as I can tell, it works in terms of the server
logic.  The client sometimes gets a little confused about what's going on--it
works, but (for example) it flashes the turn-done button at inappropriate times.
I think that this could be fixed by telling the client whether or not the
game is turn-based, but there may be a solution which doesn't rely on that.

  The client code seems to be very interdependant though, which makes it
hard to figure out exactly what would need to be changed to avoid changing
the protocol.  Is there anyone out there who knows more about the client and
would like to help me with this?

  Actually, there is one problem..I can't see any good way to get this to work
with timouts.  Maybe if time_at_turn_end is changed from a static local
variable to a global variable?  Or I could just ignore timeouts in a turn-based
game. (bleah)

  Daniel Burrows
--
"It is hard to think of anything less sentient than a pumpkin."
  -- Terry Pratchett, _Witches Abroad_