Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Serious Suggestions

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Serious Suggestions
From: Matt Busigin <jediknight@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:35:00 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Stephen Hodge wrote:

#With a full language we could extend it more easily to allow complex tasks
#to be scripted (eg. a client AI written entirely in the scripting language
#- I think this would be really cool). Extending a FreeCiv specific language
#originally designed for city build orders is likely to be more difficult.
#Of course the simple language is probably easier to implement. The other
#advantage with something like Guile is that it is widely known (and in
#Guile's case a GNU standard).

More bloat, CPU usage, and less system scalability.  That, and right now,
all FreeCiv requires is Xaw, and berkley UDP socket.  Nearly every X-ified
UNIX system has this.  Including Guile would be a mistake, because it would
increase the requirements.  Making Guile scripting optional would also suck,
because then some people with the Guile-enhanced clients would have an
advantage.

I'm not suggesting that we make some little dinky language for people to
take a piss on, but something not to large that is specific to FreeCiv.

#Does anyone know what (if any) stuff is available for making a (for
#example) Guile implementation easier to add?

Althrough Guile may be the GNU standard, it is far from the most widely used
scripting language.  If you are going to impliment an embeded language, try
Tcl or Perl.

                        cheers,
                                matt.

   Matt Busigin [Perl/Tcl/Sh/C/C++/Lex/Yacc/HTML UNIX Programmer]
          "Overdrawn?  But I still have checks left!"
     xwing.org Debian Linux: 600 BogoMips AMD K6 300 128mb RAM
belgarath.xwing.org Debian Linux: 230 BogoMips AMD K5 166 128mb RAM
       email : spod(at)ewtoo.org, jediknight(at)xwing.org
     ** Email for 2048 bit PGP public encryption key! **