Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Serious Suggestions

To: Freeciv Development List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Serious Suggestions
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 21:15:00 -0500

David J Porter (porterd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> There is, IMHO, an argument for allowing some sort of dynamically
> loadable object modules for this.  This has the advantage of being able
> to continue writing 'C' rather than some other language, with the
> advantage that compilation allows.

It has the disadvantage of being extremely non-portable.  There are
a vast number of Unix-like systems out there with no dynamic loading
capabilities whatsoever (especially when you consider old versions).
Not to mention the non-Unix-like systems....

I also don't see how these would be useful.  A scripting language would be
more useful, I think, and the AI should ideally be implemented client-side
(but I don't have the time and I'm not sure I have the skill...).

--
Greg Wooledge                    | Distributed.NET http://www.distributed.net/
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             | because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.