Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: your mail

To: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: your mail
From: W Stockwell <waldo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 13:49:24 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 3 Jan 1999, Lalo Martins wrote:

> No no, you got me wrong. Guile doesn't "let" your program
> support multiple languages. Guile supports them itself. If I
> write a program today which uses Guile as the extension
> language, and I don't even know it supports anything other than
> scheme, my users will still be able to use TCL and CTAX. And
> what's more, when python support is released then users will be
> able to use python too and I won't even have to recompile to
> enable that - I won't even have to _know_ about it. That's the
> beauty of Guile. Not the language; I too prefer python :-)
>
> So in your scenario, all AIs written in any Guile-supported
> languages would run on all Guile-enabled clients. No problem at
> all.
>
> []s,
>                                                |alo
>                                                +----

AH, that's good.  That was sort of what I was asking.  It would definately
be better to use Guile.  It still seems hard to believe that it would
work seemlessly to imbed Guile in an AI client and then have all the
same programmable functionality in X number of languages.  This is
mostly because all of these languages are so different.  Python, for
example, has a lot of data structures(tuples, dictionaries, sequences)
that are not implemented in Scheme, CTAX, of TCL as far as I know.  You
are certain that the support for multiple languages will be seemless?
Also, how is the Python support coming along?

Will Stockwell
waldo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.antisocial.net/waldo