Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] AI client

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] AI client
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 01:59:52 +0100

> start same kind of project and am of course interested to hear about that
> already started project (or projects), if one exists. Altought I'm going to
> write AI code from scratch (at least I'm not going to use any of the current
> FreeCiv AI code) I'd like to see some sources of overall design of the client.

Whoo.  A short 'Freeciv hackers guide' is distributed with the code.

Some guys in Slovakia are busy working on Freeciv AI based on neural nets.
I discovered by logging in to their test server and I asked them to report
to this list.

In my opinion, the 'best' way to implement AI is my creating a programming
interface to the client; this will allow stepwise improvements towards a
more 'automatable' client, until finally the client can be fully
automated, able to  run without any user interaction.  This kind of idea
has been discussed on the list before but nobody seems to be working on it.
The main developers  - I am not one -  don't seem to have any strong feelings
about it.

Feel free to start :)

--
Reinier Post                                             rp@xxxxxxxxxx