Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: your mail

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: your mail
From: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 01:17:03 -0200

On Jan 02, W Stockwell decided to present us with:

> Good point.  I didn't realize Guile supported anything more
> than scheme. Both languages use the same functions to be
> imbedded? If they use different functions, [...] Which is more
> valuable: a choice of which language to use or having AI
> sources in a single language. It's defiantely sdomething to
> think about.

No no, you got me wrong. Guile doesn't "let" your program
support multiple languages. Guile supports them itself. If I
write a program today which uses Guile as the extension
language, and I don't even know it supports anything other than
scheme, my users will still be able to use TCL and CTAX. And
what's more, when python support is released then users will be
able to use python too and I won't even have to recompile to
enable that - I won't even have to _know_ about it. That's the
beauty of Guile. Not the language; I too prefer python :-)

So in your scenario, all AIs written in any Guile-supported
languages would run on all Guile-enabled clients. No problem at
all.

[]s,
                                               +----
--
     And the sign said the words of the prophets
 are written on the subway walls and tenement halls