Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] AI client

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] AI client
From: falk.hueffner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Falk Hueffner)
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 15:38:15 GMT

On Fri, 1 Jan 1999 01:38:18 +0200 (EET), caz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Some months ago somebody was talking about writing an AI client. Now I want to
>start same kind of project and am of course interested to hear about that
>already started project (or projects), if one exists. Altought I'm going to
>write AI code from scratch (at least I'm not going to use any of the current
>FreeCiv AI code) I'd like to see some sources of overall design of the client.

I have started writing a client AI some time ago, and recently picked
up that again. It is written in C++ from scratch. Currently, it is
more a akeleton, there are only "placeholder" heuristics in it. It can
move explorer around and looks with settlers for new city places, and
always builds settlers (which doesn't really make it a difficult
opponent ;). If anybody wants to see it, I can put it on an FTP site
or so.

For the heuristics, I don't know a really good concept yet. If I code
them in C++, they get difficult to tune at run time. If I write them
in some extension language, they get much slower, and the whole thing
gets more complex. What do you folks think?

        Falk