Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] GTK+ client for 1.7.2

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] GTK+ client for 1.7.2
From: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 17:19:39 -0200

On Jan 03, Nick Lamb decided to present us with:

> This is getting off-topic. Unless something Freeciv-specific is at
> issue here, I'd prefer to continue this off-list.

Freeciv-gtk is Freeciv-specific enoght for me. Specially if it's
meant to someday _replace_ the Athena version.

> Freeciv GTK+ could be ported to GTK+ 1.0, which would presumably
> satisfy you. OTOH There's no particular reason to do that, because
> as I said there will eventually be GTK+ 1.2, which is much better,
> and Freeciv works fine on Xaw for those who run "production" code.

There is a reason, yes. Freeciv-gtk working on a gtk version
"available for mortals" could be tested by a larger number of
people and Free Software/Open Source has "peer review" as one of
its most importants advantages.

> What I _really_ don't understand is why 1.1.3 is supposed to get
> special treatment? Are you really selfish enough to believe that all
> GTK+ apps should aim for compatability with 1.1.3 just because that's
> the version you seem to have?

Selfish? No sir. I don't even have that version. But it's the
latest version available in Debian. RedHat has only 1.1.2,
that's why I said it would be even better. The whole point of
making distributions and precompiled binaries is to reduce
inconvenience.

> Initially you seemed to argue that Freeciv-GTK+ depended on CVS
> versions of GTK+. Once I pointed out that it only needed a recent
> release version, you say you only run production code. In that case
> why didn't you ask for a 1.0.x client, rather than a 1.1.3 one?

Because 1.1.2 and 1.1.3, despite being 1.1, are stable enought
for everyday use. And because I'm aware that backporting to 1.0
is a much worse nightmare, while 1.1.[23] shouldn't be so hard.

And I didn't say _I_ run only production code. I don't know if
you think only of yourself when you develop or request things. I
don't. I request things that are going to be useful for lots of
people or otherwise I shut up. This is my attitude and this is
why I'm in Debian, giving back to the community that makes my
computer run. Thank you.

                                               +----
--
     And the sign said the words of the prophets
 are written on the subway walls and tenement halls