Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] GTK+ client for 1.7.2

To: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] GTK+ client for 1.7.2
From: Nick Lamb <njl98r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 22:13:48 +0000 (GMT)

Isn't it better to ask a vendor to improve their services (with
Debian this must presumably be a community effort) rather than
demand compromises elsewhere to make up for _several_months_ of
delay in making new packages available?

-----

1. Freeciv-GTK won't replace Freeciv-Xaw for years if at all

2. RPMs and other packages are available for 1.1.10+ GTK+
Maybe not from "official sources", but they are developers releases
so presumably users aren't going to be picky about it.

3. You are free to backport Freeciv-GTK yourself and remain in a
time warp. Please don't release binaries that don't work with more
recent versions of GTK+ unless you properly label them.

4. Stable vs. Developers releases are a GTK+ team decision, not my
decision, not your decision and certainly not Debian's decision.
To say that something is "stable enough" is IMHO useless in this
context. Progress continues on 1.1.x until 1.2.0

5. I don't ask for things that will be obsolete almost as soon as
they're finished. I doubt that more than a few dozen people would
use a backported Freeciv-GTK+, and many of those will report bugs
that are fixed in new GTK+ versions, or introduced by the backport.
That means everyone's time is wasted.

Nick.