Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] GTK+ client for 1.7.2

To: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] GTK+ client for 1.7.2
From: Nick Lamb <njl98r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 16:34:42 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 3 Jan 1999, Lalo Martins wrote:

> Would it be too much work to add some #ifdef's and a configure
> option to make the thing compile with some version of GTK we can
> find somewhere outside CVS? (1.1.3 would be good for me, 1.1.2
> if possible would be better)

You're running 1.1.3?! That doesn't even have the new scrolled window
semantics -- let alone label changes etc. etc. etc.

GTK+ 1.1.11 is available. Freshmeat has it, ftp.gtk.org has it, and
I've been running it here since the beginning of 1999. I'd be
suprised if the GTK+ client needs something newer than 1.1.10 to
work anyway. Please upgrade to 1.1.11, if other apps stop working,
hard cheese -- this is a developers series, if you won't keep up
you'll get run down.

By the time the GTK+ client is part of Freeciv there will probably be
GTK+ 1.2.0, which is stable, and can therefore be installed and
forgotten about if you're too lazy to chase new releases. For now,
it's better that people are forced to upgrade regularly.

Mmm, you seem to be running Debian, so there are probably even .debs
available for you by now. If not, I'm sure no-one will object if you
make some available (so long as they're correct) to the Freeciv
community, in case others want them.

Nick.
(Has built the GTK+ client, but is stuck in 80x25 til tomorrow)