Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] some new unit graphics

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] some new unit graphics
From: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 02:59:41 -0200

On Jan 01, David Pfitzner decided to present us with:

> I've now finished new graphics for all of the
> "non-mechanized" land units;

Hehe the alpine troops now don't look like the pope anymore :-)

IIRC new units and tiles are in the tasklist for 1.7.3, and I
had an idea: why don't we just run a gimp contest like anyone
else? This could even get some /. press on freeciv ;-) Sketchy
announcement below, my comments in {}, perhaps we should html
it? (Specially for the categories which would look beter in a
table)

What we want

  An icon (16x16 and 32x32), a tileset (tiles.xpm) and unitset
  (units.xpm). To figure the format, get the current ones from
  {URL, or if we make it HTML just link it}. The files contain a
  lot of 30x30 images (tiles or units). Your tiles or units
  don't have to be the 30x30, but they must be all:
    * square
    * of the same size
    * arranged in the file in the same order
  See these xpms to get a feeling of where to use transparency.
  {Perhaps we should add a txt or html explaining what each tile
  or unit means?} You're also free to paste some units or tiles
  if you think they are ok. Additional requirements in the
  categories below.

Our criteria

  For icon, it only has to look nice and _not_ _in_ _any_ _way_
  resemble the Civ, Civ2 or CivNet icons.

  For tilesets and unitsets, we will actually be choosing 3 of
  each (as the client will in the near future have an option to
  choose these on-the-fly). So you run in one of the categories
  below:

"Beautiful" category

  Tile size: up to 50, but around 32 will probably be preferred
  Colors: as many as you want
  This is meant to be just awesome as an alternative for those
  with better screens.

"Usable" category

  Tile size: 30 or 32
  Colors: 32 (yes that's 5bpp)
  This is meant to be the default unit/tileset. So being nice to
  display-impaired people is important ;-)

"Minimal" category

  Tile size: 20x20 - units must use only the lower 10 pixels,
    cities must leave upper-left and upper-right boxes 10h7w
    transparent, "digit" tiles must be 5x4 or 5x3
  Colors: 4 grayscale (this is white, black, lightgray and
    darkgray)
  This is more to prove that you can :-) No serious, a
  "ultralight" client is something that may be done in the
  future, around when FreeCiv itself gets to 2.0. Even now, such
  a tileset would look awesome in bw-lcd laptops.

[]s,
                                               +----
--
     And the sign said the words of the prophets
 are written on the subway walls and tenement halls