Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] some new unit graphics

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] some new unit graphics
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 11:12:36 +1100

Lalo Martins wrote:

> On Jan 01, David Pfitzner decided to present us with:
> >
> > I've now finished new graphics for all of the
> > "non-mechanized" land units;
>
> Hehe the alpine troops now don't look like the pope anymore :-)

Sorry, I didn't realize that was a requirement ;-)

> IIRC new units and tiles are in the tasklist for 1.7.3, and I
> had an idea: why don't we just run a gimp contest like anyone
> else? This could even get some /. press on freeciv ;-)

Interesting idea.  The main reason I'm hesitant about such a thing
is that there are a _lot_ of tiles and units, and to draw a new set
and do a good job takes a _lot_ of time and effort (as I'm finding
out, though a lack of natural artistic talent could also be a factor).
So I'm not sure we'd get many (good) entries.

You would definitely need a list of descriptions, especially for
non-civ-players, but even for civ-players; eg, I took a while to
think of a good(?) thing to draw for the "Partisan" unit.

-- David