Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] GTK+ client for 1.7.2

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] GTK+ client for 1.7.2
From: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 15:16:54 -0200

On Jan 03, Nick Lamb decided to present us with:

> GTK+ 1.1.11 is available. Freshmeat has it, ftp.gtk.org has it, and
> I've been running it here since the beginning of 1999. I'd be
> suprised if the GTK+ client needs something newer than 1.1.10 to
> work anyway. Please upgrade to 1.1.11, if other apps stop working,
> hard cheese -- this is a developers series, if you won't keep up
> you'll get run down.

That's the whole point. Some people have production machines and
can't afford to have other apps stopping. I don't have the
bandwidth to download 1.1.11 sources neither I have hardware to
compile it. And assuming I could, I can't package freeciv-gtk
with a "Depends: libgtk1.1 (>=1.1.11)" being that there is no
package libgtk1.1_1.1.11... so unless 1.1.11 is in deb and rpm
format, it isn't really suitable for "mortals".

[]s,
                                               +----
--
     And the sign said the words of the prophets
 are written on the subway walls and tenement halls