Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] config.h patch

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: permath@xxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] config.h patch
From: Mitch Davis <mjd@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 11:58:22 +1100

David Pfitzner wrote:

> Per Mathisen wrote:
> >
> Presumably it also allows us the check whether configure is being
> used (as opposed to the unsupported Imakefile and Makefile.noimake)
> eg:
>  #if !defined(HAVE_CONFIG_H) || defined(HAVE_STRERROR)
>    /* use real strerror */
>  #else
>    /* workaround */
>  #endif
> Or is that a bad approach in general and/or in this case?

I hadn't thought of it that way.  That would get us out of the
bind of working out what to do with the non-configure ways
of building.

> One question: in Markus Linnala's he used:
>  #ifdef HAVE_CONFIG_H
>  #include <config.h>
>  #endif
>
> while you just use
>
>  #include <config.h>
>
> Was that deliberate on you part?  The former seems a good idea to me.

For a while, I wondered why he did it that way.  I thought,
"we've got the config.h, why don't we want to use it?".  Now
I know - config.h won't exist if people don't use ./configure.
For that reason, I too think the first form is better.

Regards,

Mitch.
--
| mailto:mjd@xxxxxxxxxx       | Not the official view of: |