Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] 1.7.2

To: "'FreeCiv-dev'" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] 1.7.2
From: NU Euren Leif <leif.euren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 08:55:02 +0100

Esben wrote:
> A single to rearrange all workers in a city (from the city report),
> or even better to rearrange all workers in all city.

Yes, yes! I'd love it!

> And what about an order list for what to build in cities ?
I don't get it. What do you mean?

Another thing I'd like to see is a rearrangement of the order in the
improvement list. As it is now (I use a version of 98-09-30), first are
city improvements in alphabetical order, then wonders (again in
alphabetical order) and last Capitalization. This is a bit annoying,
especially at later stages when you got lots of cities and are founding
yet a new one (or conquering one of lower tech level) -- after the first
improvement it gets on building an Airport, when it's a Granary or
Harbour you need there.

Left to themselves, cities gets really silly when you get to 'P'. One
city builds a Palace, and when it's finished, a Police Station. When the
station is finished, another city has built the Palace, so this city
starts to build a Palace again. After a while almost all the cities are
competing building palaces, and valuable production is wasted.

I'd say a cost-order is more to the point, and I hacked in that order
into version 1.6.3 which I played a lot this summer: First city
improvements in cost-order (low-cost first, starting with Temple), then
wonders (again in cost-order), then Palace and last Capitalization. With
this scheme, cities can be leaved almost unattended -- only fine tuning
is needed.

When hacking this, I was amazed to note how well done the source is
coded. All I did was to rearrange the enumeration type
improvement_types_id in city.h and the improvement_types struct in
city.c, and it worked! No one had used the actual value in the code, or
at least I haven't noticed it :-)

Well folks... What d'you think?

yours
/Leif Eurén