Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: January 2001:
[freeciv-data] Re: freedata

To: <freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: freedata
From: "SamBC" <sambc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:24:06 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Niels Weber" <nath@xxxxxxxx>

> Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
<SNIP>

> Perhaps no period but instead include all cities that where once part
of
> the netherlands.

<SNIP>
> I think if it's possible to find some leader names and enough cities
for
> a nation, we can include it. But we wouldn't include it in "nations
> recognized by UN".
>
> >> I think, if we were in the 19th century and would be playing with
modern
> >> nations, poland would have to be excluded.
> >
> > And Germany too, if we would subscribe to the idea that a nation has
> > have a state.
>
> Yes, instead we would have Prussia, Bavaria and so on, at least if we
> choose a period before 1871.

<SNIP>
> > - UNO-nations: States that are recognized by the UN
> > - other nations
> > - historic nations
> > - fantasy nations
>
> As the limit is lifted now (thank you Thue), the division is the next
step.

<SNIP>
> See above. It wasn't meant as an official rule that you're just
allowed
> to include citiesfrom a definite period. It's just for those who want
> create nation-rulesets. So if you want another german ruleset than I
> created (as I created the modern one), you could just create a
> german.historic ruleset.
>
> >> I made the changes, because all that I knew about a ruleset-policy
was,
> >> that we don't include cities that belong to other nations
nowadays.The

> > Where was that policy given?
>
> I found it somewhere in the archives, don't know the exact location
anymore.

<SNIP>

The rules I recall being mentioned at various points are: no overlap of
cities (I believe classical civilisations may be excepted from this);
geographically and culturaly defined; represent a whole 'nation' or
'civilisation' not just one period in the history thereof.

A lot of these came up repeatedly in the debate a whileback about a
nazi-germany ruleset, which ended up as a huge trolling match. Not
something like that again, please ;o)...

SamBC