Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: October 2002:
[freeciv-ai] better easy mode

To: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] better easy mode
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 15:37:36 +0000 (GMT)

Here follows a fix for my fix for the settlers problem in easy mode,
included with the aforementioned fix.

Or in other words, here is my settlersfixv2 patch with some changes that
make the AI "easy" again but without the pathological behaviour. I changed
the expansionism variable from 30 to 10 (ie 90% reduction of city building
want), since otherwise the want for cities would be so great the
expansionism variable simply wouldn't matter. I also changed the behaviour
of huts for easy AIs, because the biggest threat to a newbie player are
those early legions/chariots the AI can get and that the newbie is
chanceless against. Now "easy" AI only gets gold from huts.

I've watched several games with this and they seemed fine. The AI builds
as many settlers as before, but uses them to build land improvements
before building cities. The settlers aren't ever idle. This makes it look
like the AI is "doing" a lot while it really wastes a lot of time, which
is good. (Nothing is less satisfactory than beating an AI you can easily
see is totally lobotomized.)

Please test and review for S1_14 inclusion.