Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: May 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Re: long-term ai goals

To: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: long-term ai goals
From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 12:47:49 -0600

On 2002.05.23 09:26:15 -0600 Christian Knoke wrote:

Ok, this sounds reasonable. Although I still don't see the advantage
of moving the existing AI out of the server then (the admin has to set
up both, server and AI's, right?), its up to you.

It would be nice if the goal included support for a system where a human player could turn arbitrary parts of the game management over to the AI as an assistant. That may not _necessarily_ mean that the AI couldn't run on the server, but intuitively I would guess that it would be easier to do with the AI in a client.

At any rate, I think moving the AI to a client would be a good idea because it would make it feasible for people to create their own client AIs by hacking the default AI client, leaving them in a position to test their AIs in games run on server run by someone else.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas