Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: May 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Re: long-term ai goals

To: <freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: long-term ai goals
From: Per I Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 12:51:38 +0200 (MEST)

On Thu, 23 May 2002, Christian Knoke wrote:
> > In order to get to this point, the current AI code will be moved from the
> > server and to the client. This requires that the AI code is separated
> > completely from the server, and that clients get the possibility of an
>                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > omniscience cheat.
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> That sounds strange to me. It's the way from an 'open' design
> to a 'closed' one. Thought we wanted "free" client side AI.

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by open and closed, but an AI
that has the same limitations as a human player is ideal. However, AIs
requiring omniscience should also be possible. The current AI will not
work without it.

Yours,
Per

"As Israeli forces pursued militants, civilians
continued getting in the way and dying as a
result." -- New York Times, April 21