Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: May 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Re: long-term ai goals

To: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: long-term ai goals
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 13:24:03 +0200

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 12:51:38PM +0200, Per I Mathisen wrote:
> On Thu, 23 May 2002, Christian Knoke wrote:
> > > In order to get to this point, the current AI code will be moved from the
> > > server and to the client. This requires that the AI code is separated
> > > completely from the server, and that clients get the possibility of an
> >                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > omniscience cheat.
> >   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > That sounds strange to me. It's the way from an 'open' design
> > to a 'closed' one. Thought we wanted "free" client side AI.
>
> I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by open and closed, but an AI
> that has the same limitations as a human player is ideal. However, AIs
> requiring omniscience should also be possible. The current AI will not
> work without it.

So who is going to decide whether it's a human or an AI client connecting?
It shouldn't be too hard to hack the standard client to be omniscient, too.
To build a cheat interface into freeciv just for this reason, is a bad way,
IMO. Of course I know there is already cheating in the protocol by now, but
I hoped we will get rid of it some time, now you are working such a lot
on the AI.

That's why I'd keep the current AI in the place where it is (the server)
and open ways for alternate (non-cheating) client AI's at the same time.

> Yours,
> Per

Christian

--