Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: May 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Re: long-term ai goals

To: <freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: long-term ai goals
From: Per I Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 13:42:11 +0200 (MEST)

On Thu, 23 May 2002, Christian Knoke wrote:
> > I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by open and closed, but an AI
> > that has the same limitations as a human player is ideal. However, AIs
> > requiring omniscience should also be possible. The current AI will not
> > work without it.
>
> So who is going to decide whether it's a human or an AI client connecting?

The server admin decides who gets cheating priviledges. A "list" command
should show prominently who is getting what cheating priviledges. This can
be useful also for giving newbies a bit of help, not just AIs.

> It shouldn't be too hard to hack the standard client to be omniscient, too.

That is not up to the client to decide.

> To build a cheat interface into freeciv just for this reason, is a bad way,
> IMO. Of course I know there is already cheating in the protocol by now, but
> I hoped we will get rid of it some time, now you are working such a lot
> on the AI.

Raimar has posted a patch that should fix the remaining cheat
possibilities in the protocol. I hope it will go in before release.

Yours,
Per

"As Israeli forces pursued militants, civilians
continued getting in the way and dying as a
result." -- New York Times, April 21