Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: May 2002:
[freeciv-ai] long-term ai goals

To: <freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-ai] long-term ai goals
From: Per I Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 11:34:00 +0200 (MEST)

I suggest we put the following into README.AI:

=====
The long-term goals for Freeciv AI development are
 -> to create a challenging and fun AI for players to defeat
 -> to create modular AI code that can easily be assembled into new AI
    clients
 -> to have multiple different AI clients compete against each other

In order to get to this point, the current AI code will be moved from the
server and to the client. This requires that the AI code is separated
completely from the server, and that clients get the possibility of an
omniscience cheat.

An important step is to move the goto code into the client. Also, the
current CMA agent will split out its core calculations for use in
client-side AI that do not use agents.

The final directory structure should look like this:

 client/agents     - this is agent territory
 client/ai         - this is where AI implementations go
 client/ai/common  - this is where common AI code should go
 client/ai/XYZ/    - AI implementation named XYZ

 server/           - no AI code allowed
 ai/               - removed

While code is being moved and integrated, we will link the AI in the
server with client/ai/common/libaicommon.a and client/ai/XYZ/libxyz.a,
making a gradual progress of files and features possible.

We also need to give the current AI a name to prepare for a multitude
of AI clients. Suggestions welcome.
=====

Other ideas? Comments?

Yours,
Per

"As Israeli forces pursued militants, civilians
continued getting in the way and dying as a
result." -- New York Times, April 21