Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: May 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Re: long-term ai goals

To: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: long-term ai goals
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 12:16:11 -0500

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 05:26:15PM +0200, Christian Knoke wrote:
> Ok, this sounds reasonable. Although I still don't see the advantage
> of moving the existing AI out of the server then (the admin has to set
> up both, server and AI's, right?), its up to you.

        Having server AIs makes game startup somewhat easy.  "aifill 7" is
the CLI equivalent to a one-click radio button.
        It's possible that this could be done using fork() as invisibly as
now, with fully separate AI clients communicating with the real server.
That's been discussed in the past.

http://arch.freeciv.org/freeciv-dev-200001/msg00493.html provides one
starting point.

> > > To build a cheat interface into freeciv just for this reason, is a bad
> > > way,
> > > IMO. Of course I know there is already cheating in the protocol by now,
> > > but
> > > I hoped we will get rid of it some time, now you are working such a lot
> > > on the AI.

        Cheating in the protocol should be possible only on a limited
level.  (Knowing what units are in which stacks due to observing them all
move there, etc.) You shouldn't be able to get things like full map
knowledge, changes done to FoW tiles, etc.  These should also not be
needed by a competent AI.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

'Finally, the Navy stated that [...] "However, use of the area as a live
fire range has the beneficial effect of reducing the negative impacts of
human intrusion."' - Center For Biological Diversity v Pirie and Rumsfeld