Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: FOR SALE Toshiba PCX1100 cable modem

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: FOR SALE Toshiba PCX1100 cable modem
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:20:53 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Clint Brubakken wrote:

> I will probably for the regular cable (as I can't get satellite in my
> apartment). So it will be cheaper. Also I don't want to deal with bell
> to try to change over service to another provider, when I expanded to
> the 5 ips they were wanting to charge me $200 for breaking my dsl
> contract.

They want to consider _upgrading_ your service to be breaking your
contract?  That's Bell for you.

You don't have to have phone service to have DSL.  I have my DSL on a
second line (a "dry copper pair") that doesn't have phone service on it.
I pay a few extra bucks to my provider for this, but it's handy because I
can do things with my voice line without messing with my DSL and
vice-versa.

One of the nice things about DSL nowdays (as opposed to when I first got
it) you can get it from a non-Bell provider without dealing with Bell
themselves at all... the provider handles all of that.  Switching from
SouthWind to Hubris was easy, since I switched to a dry copper pair and
had both services active at the same time.

--
Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
4 out of 5 people think the 5th person is an idiot.