Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: FOR SALE Toshiba PCX1100 cable modem

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: FOR SALE Toshiba PCX1100 cable modem
From: "Jonathan Hall" <flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 00:48:30 -0500

Compared to the rest of the U.S., Wichita DSL is very cheap and fast.  In
Goessel, I pay $50/mo for ADSL with a 384k cap.  In Wichita, you pay less
than that for a guaranteed 384k and up to 1.54mb (and when I was using it
there, I rarely got less than the 1.54mb max).

Comparing telco service in the U.S. with telco service in any other country,
though, is absurd.  It's apples and oranges.  Telephone systems are
completely different--they use different technologies, they are under
different governmental regulations, they're operated by different companies,
and they're paid for in different currencies.

Everything costs different amounts in other countries.  Some things are
extremely cheap comparatively, some things are much more expensive.

Keep in mind also that the standard of living differs greatly.  In Mexico, a
week's worth of groceries may only cost $10... but a week's wage may also
only be $20.

-- Jonathan