Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: RedHat 7.2

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: RedHat 7.2
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 13:24:20 -0600

Actually, that's not quite true. You can F8 at the boot beep and select a
command prompt. On my laptop, I *have* to boot to DOS first in order to
initialize some devices, then run loadlin to warm boot to Linux.

> One thing I would be concerned about is that doing it with loadlin will
> probably result in the common warning and scandisk running because
> windows was not properly shut down.

Not at all.  You just set a shortcut to run in exclusive DOS mode, and
everything's happy. I've done this on a number of machines, expecially where
Linux may be on a second or third disk.

--dwh

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx