Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Why Linux will win and Micro$oft will lose

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Why Linux will win and Micro$oft will lose
From: "lowell" <lowell@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 10:47:33 -0600

How 'bout home power generation? Local farmers' markets? (priced produce @
the store lately?)cooperative broadband? These are just the ones that've
come across the desktop this month...

I'm still wondering how the free/open source model can be translated to
other
aspects of commerce where corporations just as outrageous as MS dominate. I
don't feel very good about taking advantage of Chinese or Mexican slaves
just
so I can have "lots of stuff real cheap" (Walmart, Dillons etc). Right here
in Kansas farmers are doing everything possible to maximize efficiency and
then getting screwed on prices. Only huge farming operations can win at the
low prices game, i.e., more corporate/monopolistic crap. Our whole free
market system is based on a relentless, mindless, anti-human pursuit of
efficiency and convenience (joined at the hip with "maximize revenue,
minimize costs"). With Linux, we're still being illogical/irrational on the
efficiency-convenience issue vis-a-vis the desktop. Maybe we need to
consider
other "irrational responses" too.

--
Lb:Lars von dem Ast