Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Virtual POP3 and IMAP server

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Virtual POP3 and IMAP server
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 23:24:55 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Jonathan Hall wrote:

> Since I use slrn, and am happy with it, I haen't actually used mutt's news
> ability, so never bothered to figure it out.  It turns out there are
> actually apparantly a number of patches that add news abilities to mutt.  I
> don't know if they'll be 'advanced' enough for what you want.

Hmm.  I'll take a look.

> As a side note: My philosophy is that mail and news are two different things
> and a separate program/interface will be better suitded for each.

I believe that mail and news are more similar than different.  While the
client needs to know the differences, the differences to the *user* are
very minimal when compared to mailing lists.  The user needs to see
folders/newsgroups, threaded messages, to read, reply, etc.  Same
function, reading and responding to messages, different transport methods.

I don't see why the interfaces can't be similar enough to be in the same
client.  The fact that mutt's interface is modeled after slrn's (according
to the FAQ) ought to say something about that.

I spend most of my day with Pine open.  I like to be able to jump between
mail and news without having to exit and start a new program.

To each his own, of course.

--
Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
Life is complex. You know - part real, part imaginary.