Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Virtual POP3 and IMAP server

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Virtual POP3 and IMAP server
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 09:53:52 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 20 Oct 2001, Jonathan Hall wrote:

> But that's by choice, not by 'force' of a proxy or other limitations.

I'd still read via a text interface even if I weren't forced into it.

> > I also have a personal "requirement" of being able to read mail and news
>
> Mutt does that, too. :-)

Hmmm...  I don't recall it doing that when I last looked at it.  Of
course, that was four or so years ago.  I'll take another look.

> Pine's * is grossly primiative, IMHO :-)

Well, yeah.  But as far as I knew, it was the only text-based client that
did what I want.

> Mutt does all that... originally I switched to mutt b/c I couldn't get pine
> to use the external editor I wanted.  Perhaps I just didn't look hard
> enough, or perhaps that feature has been since added.

It's been there for years.  But Pine's got this brain-dead approach of
*turning off* most of the advanced features unless you ask for them.  Like
a new user is going to accidentally press a key and get a menu that scares
them or something.

> "no other?"  Every feature you've mentioned I *know* is in mutt.

No other, as far as I've been aware.  I get used to a client and am not
very inclined to go checking out other clients unless my current client is
giving me problems.  Or until someone recommends the client as meeting my
needs better than my current client.

> I suspect it's also in gnus... and I'm sure there are other text-based
> mail/news readers that I'm not aware of that meet those criteria, too.

Gnus doesn't meet one of my primary critera... easy to comprehend and use.
I tried that one at SouthWind and it drove me batty.

--
Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
Old immortals never die, they just... don't.