Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: MTAs & maildir vs mbox (was Re: Virtual POP3 and IMAP serv

To: <discussion@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: MTAs & maildir vs mbox (was Re: Virtual POP3 and IMAP server)
From: gLaNDix <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 08:44:46 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Ryan Hunt wrote:

> also go with a Journaling File system for faster performance and much faster

actually, most of the docs i've read about ReiserFS and the other
journaling file systems (ext3, XFS, JFS,...) are typically slower than
ext2 and are worse at handling small, often changed or deleted files due
to the journaling...  iirc, the ReiserFS docs suggested not using ReiserFS
on your /boot and /var directories for this very reason...

of all the journaled filesystems, and from what i have read, ReiserFS
seems to be the most mature with ext3 being the least...  JFS and XFS fall
somewhere inbetween...  personally, i use ReiserFS on all my partitions
except /boot ...  granted, this is only a workstation (i use
UFS+soft-updates on my server), but a few weeks ago, we had a fairly large
lightening storm here (of course, it had to hit when i was in an evening
class!) which caused both machines to reboot atleast 6 or 7 times w/o a
proper shutdown (unfortunately, I don't have the $$$ for a UPS yet)...
both filesystems (ufs/ReiserFS) performed wonderfully w/o even the
slightest problem.

side note: iirc, i read some JFS docs with the latest release in which
they specifically said to try and trash your filesystem w/ hard boots and
shutdowns while the discs are active, since they were so confident in
their product...

however, as with the whole sendmail/postfix/qmail/exim issue, it's
probably best to try them for yourself and see which works for you...

gLaNDix