Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: October 2001:
[aclug-L] Re: Virtual POP3 and IMAP server

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: Virtual POP3 and IMAP server
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 13:29:22 -0500

> > > I also have a personal "requirement" of being able to read mail and news
> >
> > Mutt does that, too. :-)
>
> Hmmm...  I don't recall it doing that when I last looked at it.  Of
> course, that was four or so years ago.  I'll take another look.

Since I use slrn, and am happy with it, I haen't actually used mutt's news
ability, so never bothered to figure it out.  It turns out there are
actually apparantly a number of patches that add news abilities to mutt.  I
don't know if they'll be 'advanced' enough for what you want.

I just did a search for 'mutt-nntp' at Google and came up with a number of
such patches.

As a side note: My philosophy is that mail and news are two different things
and a separate program/interface will be better suitded for each.  There are
obviously many programs that do both mail and news, but in my own dealings
with both systems, I've always opted for a different program for mail than
for news--even if the program I use for one was capable of handling the
other.

But then that's juts my own personal preference, too...

> > I suspect it's also in gnus... and I'm sure there are other text-based
> > mail/news readers that I'm not aware of that meet those criteria, too.
>
> Gnus doesn't meet one of my primary critera... easy to comprehend and use.
> I tried that one at SouthWind and it drove me batty.

I cant argue there.  The one time I tried gnus, it was on some low-end
computer hardware, and it took MINUTES (as opposed to the seconds it took
pine or mutt) to open a large mailbox.  Maybe I had it misconfigured...
maybe in my ignorance of gnus I did something stupid.  But at any rate... an
out-of-box MUA/NR shouldn't act like that :-)