Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: SORRY! Re: DNS TEST

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: SORRY! Re: DNS TEST
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 06:39:41 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, David Carmichael wrote:

> (2) I am sorry that I asked what to me seems like a simple request to run a
> trace route DNS trace from your ISP so help prove to me and help me have a
> little bit more fire power to get the DNS server working correctly again.

The reason you're getting the responses you are to your request is because
you asked for a screwdriver to drive a nail.  Yes, it can do the job, but
a hammer is much more direct and effective.  If you're having doubts about
how DNS is (or is not) working, using the tools made for querying DNS is
much more effective than using tools made for analyzing routing and
traffic.

That you don't have access to these tools does make it harder on your
part... if you're not familiar with them, you aren't going to ask about
them.  So I really can't blame you for that.  But when you say "trace
route DNS trace" it makes me wonder if you understand traceroute.
Because traceroute has no more to do with DNS than telnet or ftp does...
it uses the resolver to translate a hostname to an IP address, and the
resolver may or may not query a DNS server to do the translation.  It
happens to do a name lookup, much like the handle of a screwdriver just
happens to make a poor but usable hammer.

Troubleshooting DNS can be tricky and it can require quite a bit of
understanding about how DNS works for some of the trickier
problems.  Having the right tools makes it easier and even possible where
it wouldn't be otherwise.  Considering how much knowledge it can take to
troubleshoot DNS, I wouldn't expect you to read up on it just to prove
somebody else's problem.  And that's where I, as an ACLUG hanger-on (I
can't say "member" as I've never made it to a meeting), am perfectly
happy for you to come and describe your problem and ask someone with
access to the right tools to help you troubleshoot it.  But I do applaud
you for trying to deal with the problem on your own with limited knowledge
and indequate tools.  The only place I could find to fault you with is if
you come away from this encounter having learned nothing, which I don't
think is the case.

When was the last time ACLUG gave a presentation on how DNS works?  That
might be something I'm qualified to present.

--
Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
If it ain't broke, let me have a shot at it.