Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: DNS TEST

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: DNS TEST
From: David Carmichael <dec2955@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:35:49 -0500

In short if the local DNS server is unable to find the name and match it
with an IP address then even a trace route would fail before it could go any
farther along the route.

And if other ISP's are able to do a proper DNS / IP match kind of narrows
down the error.

As far as SWBI goes it seems that they fixed their DNS server and is now
working with most (not all) of the sites that I had been erroring out on for
the past two weeks.

The IP addresses of the SWBI DNS servers are 161.147.174.1 through
161.147.174.8 and here in Wichita a DSL line is connected to SWBI using DHCP
which should find and use the first open DNS server.

--David