Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: April 2000:
[aclug-L] Re: DNS TEST misstyped IP address sorry!!

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: DNS TEST misstyped IP address sorry!!
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 08:02:21 -0500

On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 01:19:58AM -0500, David Carmichael wrote:
>      That is, if the IP addresses are 161.147.174.1-8 as you say. I don't
>      think, however, that those are the DNS server IPs. They are owned by
>      somebody in Italy :-) But basically you can try to dig each of the DNS
>      servers and see if they give you reasonable results.
>
> Steven -
>
> I guess that I must of miss typed the IP address because it should of read:
>      151.164.1.1-8
> for the DNS servers at SWBI
>
> Again sorry for all of your waisted time.
>
> --David

I don't think that my time was wasted. I get the feeling from you that
I in some way offended you by challenging your thesis of using
traceroute to test a DNS problem. That was certainly not intended. The
problem is that as a sys admin at an ISP I know that we often get
blamed for problems that are not our fault because someone takes a
small piece of information and develops it into a very misguided
issue. If you simply rely on what happens when you traceroute (or
telnet, or ftp) it is easy to come to the conclusion that your ISP is
broke, when in fact they are not. And, having someone else do the
traceroute from their ISP will not prove or disprove the theory. That
is, the lookup could fail for you and succeed for someone at a
different ISP. That still does not prove that your ISPs DNS servers
are broke. Now in this particular case, that was probably the correct
diagnosis, but it will not necessarily always be that way.

Steve