Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Newbie Partitioning Questions

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Newbie Partitioning Questions
From: jeffrey.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 16:33:06 -0500

My Win95 experience has told me that even relatively simple changes to the
filesystem are possible problems.  The funny one is adding a second drive.
Even though the first one is "primary master" the primary partition on the
second drive takes over "d" status and puts the extended partition on "c"
to "e."  Enough to make my head swim during 3:00am marathon install
sessions.  In DOS you can reserve the drive letter for the CD-ROM with the
/H:d  switch (d=desired drive letter).  I'm not aware of any way in Win95
to do without putting the entry in the config file.  That would only
consist of finding the driver and referring to it and putting the proper
invocation in the autoexec file (c:\windows\command\mscdex.exe - if it's
there).  I expect though, that there will be no change.  If you dual boot
NT it's the same thing.  Putting NT into the  NTFS format will make the
drives invisible to Win95, although NT can still see and use them
(likewise, Linux will still be able to see the other partitions and use
them if they're mounted).  As long as the original partitions (Win95) are
still in the same relative places (primary-master-primary,
primary-master-extended, etc.) nothing should change.  Famous last words.
:-)  What the heck . . .  Give it whirl.

jeff

rosencut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx on 03/21/99 04:12:48 PM

Please respond to aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx