Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Newbie Partitioning Questions

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Newbie Partitioning Questions
From: Nate Bargmann <ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 06:20:56 -0600

Michael Holmes wrote:

> That is exactly what happened to me, I had left the LINUX install (after
> 4hrs) got home, and booted up the computer.  It went to windows, as I
> forgot to put in my diskette (my hd was too large to put lilo in, so I boot
> from diskette, until I can get a newer motherboard).  While loading, it pop
> up, "detected new equipment) {MY LINUX DRIVE}  "Formatting......."  Before
> I could do squat, there went the LINUX Fat table.  Even turning off the
> computer did not save it, because the first thing MS did was go straight
> for the Juggler!!

What a horror!  On this machine HDA1 is DOS w/Win95, HDA2 is Linux
Native, HDA3 Linux Swap, and HDA5 is a small DOS partition.  I had this
same arrangement under Win 3.1 and then put the '95 upgrade on this
machine in July '97.  All went well and it never bothered any of my
Linux partitions.  I boot Linux using LILO from a floppy which reads the
kernel from HDA2.  Some might argue it takes longer, but when I only
boot every couple of weeks, who's gonna notice?

I wonder if perhaps Win95 actually couldn't see my Linux partitions as I
think DOS has a limitation of only being able to see 1 primary
partition, and I have three.  OTOH, I know DOS FDISK is unable to create
more than 1 primary partition on a drive and after that must create
logical drives in an extended partition.

Some people outside this list are griping that Tux looks too
unprofessional, perhaps even naive.  But, I think Tux is just fine as
Linux really is friendly to your computer and doesn't make any pretenses
as to what you have on your machine and doesn't judge why.

- Nate >>

--

 Packet   | N0NB @ WF0A.#SCKS.KS.USA.NOAM       | "FAILURE IS NOT
 Internet | ka0rny@xxxxxxxxxx                   | AN OPTION!