Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
[aclug-L] Newbie Partitioning Questions

To: ACLUG-list <ACLUG-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [aclug-L] Newbie Partitioning Questions
From: rosencut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 12:15:31 -0600

I'm inching closer to taking the Linux plunge, and I have a few
questions regarding partitioning.

I want to have a dual boot system - Win95 and Linux (Red Hat).  Using
Partition Magic, I've created an empty, 1GB partition.  From what I've
researched, it looks like I should plan on the following Linux
partitions:  100MB for /root, 200MB for /home, 500MB for /usr and 127MB
for swap.  I guess that leaves me with ~73MB to reallocate somewhere
else--any suggestions?

Should I go ahead and divvy up my D: drive with Partition Magic, or
would I be better off letting the Red Hat install do it?  Do I need to
concern myself with FAT16, FAT32 or whatever for the D: partition
beforehand?

Another concern is how my resulting Linux/Win95 setup is going to affect
Win95.  Will Win95 be able to "see" the resulting partitions?  My
concern is reassigning drive letters for my SCSI Zip drive and CD-ROM.

For the time being, my Linux install will be for learning purposes.
Until I can get a new modem, my online activities will have to stay in
Windows.  So for now I'm planning on installing Wordperfect for Linux
and maybe a few other Linux programs to try out.  Down the road I hope
to get a new Linux-compatible modem and dedicated second drive for what
I am sure will become my primary OS of choice.

Sorry to go on so long.  TIA for any suggestions.

Jim
--
jÏm ®¤§ÊÑÇüttêr (rosencut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)