Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Newbie Partitioning Questions

To: ACLUG-list <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Newbie Partitioning Questions
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 12:49:48 -0600 (CST)

You need a /var still.

I might suggest using ~50mb for /, and the other 123 for /var

On Sun, 21 Mar 1999 rosencut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm inching closer to taking the Linux plunge, and I have a few
> questions regarding partitioning.
>
> I want to have a dual boot system - Win95 and Linux (Red Hat).  Using
> Partition Magic, I've created an empty, 1GB partition.  From what I've
> researched, it looks like I should plan on the following Linux
> partitions:  100MB for /root, 200MB for /home, 500MB for /usr and 127MB
> for swap.  I guess that leaves me with ~73MB to reallocate somewhere
> else--any suggestions?
>
> Should I go ahead and divvy up my D: drive with Partition Magic, or
> would I be better off letting the Red Hat install do it?  Do I need to
> concern myself with FAT16, FAT32 or whatever for the D: partition
> beforehand?
>
> Another concern is how my resulting Linux/Win95 setup is going to affect
> Win95.  Will Win95 be able to "see" the resulting partitions?  My
> concern is reassigning drive letters for my SCSI Zip drive and CD-ROM.
>
> For the time being, my Linux install will be for learning purposes.
> Until I can get a new modem, my online activities will have to stay in
> Windows.  So for now I'm planning on installing Wordperfect for Linux
> and maybe a few other Linux programs to try out.  Down the road I hope
> to get a new Linux-compatible modem and dedicated second drive for what
> I am sure will become my primary OS of choice.
>
> Sorry to go on so long.  TIA for any suggestions.
>
> Jim
> --
> jÏm ®¤§ÊÑÇüttêr (rosencut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
> ---
> This is the Air Capital Linux Users Group discussion list.  If you

  Jonathan Hall  *  jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx  *  PGP public key available
 Systems Admin, Future Internet Services; Goessel, KS * (316) 367-2487
         http://www.futureks.net  *  PGP Key ID: FE 00 FD 51
         -=  Running Debian GNU/Linux 2.0, kernel 2.0.36  =-