Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Linux on store shelves

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Linux on store shelves
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 09:25:44 -0600 (EST)

On Sat, 20 Mar 1999, phrostie wrote:

> don't let it get to you
>
> the first time my wife installed ms windows it took her three days to get it
> right.
>
> once you've done it right once, it all clicks

Problem with Linux is that once you get it installed and working, you
realize that your choices for partitioning weren't very good (too little
swap, a huge root partition, not enough /usr, etc.), so you have to scrap
it and reinstall again. :)

I found Debian 2.0 fairly simple to install, but then I'm not new to Unix.
Its partition editor could use some help... and for the newbie, it'd be
nice if it would look at the amount of space on the disk and set up a
default configuration that will work for someone who doesn't know what
they want/need.  Debian 2.1 was an improvement overall, but the partition
editor hasn't changed.

--
Carl (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)