Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Linux on store shelves

To: <aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Linux on store shelves
From: "Jeffrey L. Hansen" <jhansen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 20:07:05 -0600

Funny you should mention switching PCI slots.  I bought a Sound Blaster
PCI128 card for my kids' game computer a while back.  Recently I decided to
be good dad and I sprung for a Sound Blaster Live, since it seems to be the
new flagship.  The bottom line to the dilemma is I simply took one card out
and put the other one in its place but couldn't get the software to load
nor get the card to work.  I had to move it to another slot.  Explain to
me, if you dare why that was necessary when I had another card - a sound
blaster, no less - in the same slot.  The best I can figure is that even
though I went through the registry and system files line by line and ripped
out all vestiges of sound anything and PCI128 anything it still though I
had another sound card in the system.  I'll never defend Win95
heavy-handedness, only its ease of installation.  I suppose ease isn't the
right word, but it was more intuitive to me since the days of Win3.1 for
some reason.  Now I'm probably warped for life (not an OS/2 joke).  :-)
Like I've said over and over (and will eventually even believe) is that I
will beat this thing.  I even goofed my x-term mouse now somehow.  Also,
the windows in x-term somehow wound up black text on black background.  At
this rate the cyber cops will confiscate my computer soon.  Don't tell
them, okay?  :-)

Jeff