Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Linux on store shelves

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Linux on store shelves
From: "Jeffrey L. Hansen" <jhansen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 14:08:36 -0600

At 02:09 PM 3/24/99 +0100, you wrote:

"Jeffrey L. Hansen" wrote:

Funny you should mention switching PCI slots.  I bought a Sound Blaster
PCI128 card for my kids' game computer a while back.  Recently I decided
to > be good dad and I sprung for a Sound Blaster Live, since it seems to
be the > new flagship.  The bottom line to the dilemma is I simply took one
card out > and put the other one in its place but couldn't get the software
to load > nor get the card to work.  I had to move it to another slot.
Explain to > me, if you dare why that was necessary when I had another card
- a sound > blaster, no less - in the same slot.

I think it has to do with the way they handle PNP...  When you switched
slots, your sound card would now be on a differant interrupt (or at
least your BIOS would notice something changed.)

The best I can figure is that even
though I went through the registry and system files line by line and
ripped > out all vestiges of sound anything and PCI128 anything it still
though I > had another sound card in the system.

Yea.. Your BIOS most likely did...  I'd not blame windows this time,
unless you know your BIOS is not doing the configuration of the PNP
stuff..

I'll never defend Win95
heavy-handedness, only its ease of installation.

Personally, I've had much more troubble with 95 than linux...  But hey,
that may just be me.

If I ever get to the point where my Linux box starts to work then maybe I'll be the same. Until then, I cling to the success I've had. Looks like I'll be reloading my machine again anyway, maybe 10th time will be the charm.

-= Bob =-