Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: March 1999:
Re: [aclug-L] Linux on store shelves

To: aclug-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aclug-L] Linux on store shelves
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 20 Mar 1999 09:51:12 -0600

Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I don't feel that it's that important for Linux to go "mainstream".  I
> would MUCH prefer a quality OS and quality applications than a mainstream
> OS and applications.
>
> If we can have both, great.  But making Linux "mainstream" is, IMHO, a
> stupid goal.  The GOAL should be to make Linux better, not to make it
> mainstream.  If it becomes mainstream in the process that's all fine and
> wonderful, but that should not be the goal.

I think again there is a blurring of ideas going on here.  (Why do I
keep saying this?)

The goal of the Free Software movement in general is simple -- get rid
of proprietary software.  The method of doing this is to write quality
Free Software, which on its own merits eventually must replace Free
Software.

With Linux, Linus has said his goal is not to oust Microsoft or
anything, but to make a good OS.  This is certainly great, and it's a
fine goal for any given software package.  Collectively, though, the
idea is that we should be in a world where there isn't proprietary
software, and in order to do that, we must replace as much of it as
possible with quality free software.