Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: webdev: September 2002:
[webdev] Re: State of Website

To: <webdev@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [webdev] Re: State of Website
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 23:22:08 -0500

Yeah, right. ;-)

> By the time we give up on this, maybe PostNuke will be working :)

Oh, it's working now. It's just that some of the cooler features have yet to be
implemented. I've had it running on my servers for 3 months now.  If you do a
web search, you'll find maybe 2500 sites using it in it's current state of
development.

> Failing that... Why did the group choose to move away from OpenACS?  Was it
> defficient, or was PostNuke just "cooler" somehow?

OpenACS, while perhaps more configurable, was a lot harder to program.  We have
a number of people who could program in PHP, whereas there was going to be a
steep learning curve for most of us on TCL.  Also, PostNuke was easier to
configure and manage "out-of-the-box".  I can set up a fully featured and
operational PostNuke site in a little over 45 minutes.

> And not to re-open an old can of worms... but why was Zope chosen against?

Many of us on the Webdev team considered it hard to configure and work with.
It's not an intuitive system by comparision. And virtually no one knew python.

> And are there any other new-on-the-scene packages that would be worth
> considering?

Not to my knowledge.  I've looked at a number of them, and each have their
problems.  Many of them are sisters to PostNuke.  PostNuke and it's sisters are
derived from PHPNuke, which was derived from ThatWare.  My reason for
championing PostNuke was that it had the largest user base and the most 3rd
party modules to choose from.  At the time it had the most active development.
While that isn't currently true, the pieces are starting to fall back into
place.

I suppose the real question is whether you want BLOG (weblog) or not. PostNuke
is along a similar vein as Slashdot.  I saw a good article on that very subject
if I can only find the link.

Take a look at both the beta sites and have a look around Freshmeat.  See what
conclusions you draw.

--dwh

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx