Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: webdev: September 2002:
[webdev] State of Website

To: <webdev@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [webdev] State of Website
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 12:15:17 -0500

Greetings!

I thought I should bring everyone up to date on what is happening with our
website, or more correctly, why little has been done in the last couple months.

In late July ~ early August, we made the decision to move to the PostNuke CMS
system.  As a significant version upgrade was due in late August, I suggested
waiting before deploying the new site.  Unfortunately, that release broke the
majority of the 3rd party packages, several of which Aclug was planning to
deploy.

A flame war broke out on the PostNuke development list, which ended in the
resignation of the project leader, followed by resignations from 90% of the
development team.  At this point, the future of PostNuke was in question.  The
sole remaining founder of the PostNuke project attempted to rally the remaining
troops while fighting a battle of words with those who thought he was a major
cause of the developer walkout.

Finally, cooler heads prevailed, and PostNuke started a re-organization process
which is still ongoing.  The previous broken release was recalled and
re-released minus the changes that had broken all the 3rd party packages.  A
couple of bug-fixes have been released, but full development has yet to restart.
I'm fairly confident that development will continue, but I'm unsure as to the
timetable.

That leaves us with a few choices to make.  Do we hold off making any changes
until things settle down, or do we make the move and develop on our own if
necessary?  If we do the move now, do we stay with the P166 running RedHat, or
do we find a faster box and while doing so move to something easier to secure
and upgrade, like Debian?

Comments? Questions?

--dwh

---